Parquet flooring has been a popular option for centuries, a timeless feature that adds sophistication and elegance to any home. It is warm, durable, and versatile, making it a perfect choice for any home. Let’s explore how to make parquet floors look modern in the comphernsive guide.
Parquet flooring is more modern than ever, with wider planks and many color options. But styling a space around parquet flooring can be challenging. Here are some tips to help elevate your parquet flooring and make it look modern and sophisticated.
Start with Your Decor
The look of a room can be completely transformed by the elements you choose to fill it with. Area rugs, plants, wall art, and furniture all create a specific aesthetic. If you want to keep things simple, consider neutral-colored furniture, large green plants, and golden accents to contrast the busy patterns of your parquet floor.
The right lighting can make or break a room’s ambiance. A beaded chandelier adds a classic, gothic feel, while a sputnik chandelier or pendant lamp gives a modern, trendy touch. Choose lighting that complements your decor and enhances the beauty of your parquet floor.
To Make Parquet Floors Look Modern Refinishing It
One of the simplest ways to make your parquet floors look modern is to refinish them. This involves removing the top layer of the flooring to reveal a fresh, new surface. Sanding down the floor and staining or varnishing it with a modern color can completely transform the look of your parquet floors. Refinishing is a great option if your parquet floors are in good condition.
Choose a Modern Color
When refinishing your parquet floors, choose a modern color that complements your home décor. Light colors, such as white or grey, are popular for a contemporary look, while darker colors, such as walnut or espresso, are perfect for a more traditional look. Consider your furniture, wall color, and overall décor when choosing a color for your refinished parquet floors.
Consider a High-Gloss Finish
A high-gloss finish can add a modern touch to your parquet floors. This finish reflects light, making your floors look brighter and more spacious. It is also easy to clean and maintain, making it a practical choice for busy households. If you want your parquet floors to look modern and stylish, consider a high-gloss finish.
Updating Your Parquet Flooring Layout
Another way to make your parquet floors look modern is to update the layout of your flooring. Consider rearranging the blocks to create a more contemporary look if you have a traditional layout. This is a simple and effective way to update the look of your parquet floors without having to refinish them.
Create a Herringbone Layout
A herringbone layout is a popular choice for a modern look. This pattern consists of rectangular blocks arranged in a zigzag pattern, adding a touch of sophistication to your parquet floors. Consider this layout to add a modern touch to your parquet floors.
Opt for a Chevron Layout
A chevron layout is another popular choice for a modern look. This pattern consists of triangular blocks arranged in a V-shape, creating a stunning visual effect. Consider this layout to make your parquet floors look modern and unique.
Adding a Rug or Carpet
Adding a rug or carpet to your parquet floors can also help to make them look modern. Choose a rug or carpet with a modern pattern or color that complements your home décor. This is a great way to add a pop of color to your floors and to define different areas of your home, such as the living room or bedroom. A rug or carpet can also help to protect your parquet floors from scratches and wear and tear.
Choose a Bold Color
If you want to make a statement with your rug or carpet, choose a bold color contrasting with your parquet floors. A bright red, blue, or yellow rug will create a modern, contemporary look that will turn heads. Consider this option if you want to add a touch of drama to your parquet floors.
Opt for a Neutral Color
If you prefer a more understated look, choose a neutral color for your rug or carpet. A beige, grey, or white rug will complement your parquet floors without overwhelming them. Consider this option to create a harmonious look between your parquet floors and your rug or carpet.
Will parquet flooring go out of fashion?
Parquet flooring will only go entirely out of fashion. Parquet flooring has been around for centuries and has been a popular option in homes and buildings for its durability and classic look. While the style and finish of parquet flooring may change with trends, the basic concept of wooden blocks arranged in decorative patterns will likely be updated.
Additionally, parquet flooring can be updated and refurbished to match changing styles and trends, making it a versatile and long-lasting option for flooring. This simple and straightforward guide is here to do with old parquet floors.
- Refinish: If your old parquet floors are still in good condition, you can have them sanded and refinished to bring back their original beauty and luster. This cost-effective option will give your old parquet floors a new lease on life.
- Paint: Another option is to paint your old parquet floors. You can choose a neutral color for a classic look or a bold color for a modern look. This is a great option if you want to update your old parquet floors without the cost of refinishing them.
- Cover with carpet or tile: If your old parquet floors are damaged or worn, you can cover them with carpet or tile. Naturally, This is a great option if you want to hide the damage and create a new look for your home.
- Upcycle: If you have a creative streak, you can upcycle your old parquet floors into a new piece of furniture or home décor. For example, you can use old parquet blocks to create a unique coffee table or wall art.
Is it OK to put Laminate over the Parquet floor look it modern?
Yes, it is possible to put laminate over parquet, but there are a few things to consider before doing so.
- Subfloor Condition: The first thing to consider is the condition of your subfloor. The subfloor should be flat, clean, and dry to ensure a proper installation of the laminate. If your subfloor is not in good condition, it may need to be repaired or replaced before installing laminate.
- Height: Installing laminate over parquet will add height to your floors, which may cause issues with doors and trim. You may need to adjust your doors and trim to accommodate the added height.
- Adhesion: It is important to ensure that the laminate adheres properly to the surface of the parquet. Further, This may require a bonding agent or underlayment to ensure proper adhesion.
- Style: If you are concerned about your flooring style, consider the look of the laminate compared to the look of the parquet. Some laminate designs may not complement the style of your parquet flooring, so it is important to choose a laminate that will complement your existing flooring.
However, if you are considering installing laminate over parquet, it is recommended that you consult a professional flooring contractor for advice and installation. They will be able to assess the condition of your subfloor and recommend the best course of action for your specific situation.
How to lighten parquet flooring?
There are a few ways to lighten parquet flooring:
- Sanding: Sanding is a common method for lighting parquet flooring. This process involves removing the top layer of wood to reveal a lighter layer underneath. This is time-consuming, but it is a cost-effective way to lighten your parquet flooring.
- Bleaching: Bleaching is another option for lighting parquet flooring. This process involves applying a bleach solution to the surface of the flooring to lighten the color. This method is typically used to remove stains or discoloration and can also lighten the overall color of the flooring.
- Staining: Staining is a way to change the color of your parquet flooring. If you want to lighten the color of your parquet flooring, you can choose a lighter stain color. This is a great option if you want to keep the natural look of your parquet flooring but want to change the color.
- Painting: Painting is another option for changing the color of your parquet flooring. If you want to lighten the color of your parquet flooring, you can choose a lighter paint color. This is a great option to create a new look for your parquet flooring.
No matter your chosen method, it is important to properly prepare your flooring before beginning the lighting process. This may include cleaning and sanding the surface of the flooring to ensure that the lighting method is effective. It is also important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for any products used in the lighting process to ensure a safe and successful outcome.
The most common FAQs
How much does it cost to refinish parquet floors?
A: The cost of refinishing parquet floors varies depending on the size of your home, the condition of your floors, and the finish you choose. On average, expect to pay between $2,000 and $5,000 to refinish your parquet floors.
Can I change the layout of my parquet floors?
A: Yes, you can change the layout of your parquet floors. If you want to create a more modern look, consider a herringbone or chevron layout.
Is it necessary to refinish parquet floors before updating their layout?
A: It is optional to refinish your parquet floors before updating their layout. You can rearrange the blocks to create a more modern look without refinishing your floors.
In conclusion, Parquet floors are a timeless flooring option that can update to look modern and stylish. From refinishing your floors to updating their layout and adding a rug or carpet, there are many ways to make your parquet floors look modern.
Additionally, Consider your home décor, personal style, and budget when updating your parquet floors. With a little effort, you can transform your floors into a modern, contemporary look that you’ll love for years.
You may also like to read: